European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

An EHIC Card entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free medical treatment that becomes necessary while you're in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. The EHIC also covers any treatment you need for a chronic disease or pre-existing illness. However you are advised to take out comprehensive private insurance for visits to all countries, regardless of whether you are covered by your EHIC. It is advisable for everyone to apply for an EHIC card followed by a "Holiday Insurance for Cancer and Asbestos Related Diseases Sufferers".

Applying for an European Health Insurance Card

You can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) online, by phone or by post. You can apply for an EHIC for your spouse/partner and any children up to the age of 16 (or 19 if they are in full-time education) at the same time as applying for your own.If you are a foster parent or guardian (including boarding school teaching staff), you can apply on behalf of any children you are looking after. You must be over 16 to apply as a main applicant. Regardless of how you apply, you will need to have the following information to hand for everyone you are applying for:

  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • NHS or National Insurance (NI) Number

In Scotland the NHS number is known as the Community Health Index (CHI) number and in Northern Ireland it is known as the Health and Care number. The EHIC is issued by the Prescription Pricing Authority (PPA) and is free of charge. The quickest and easiest way to apply for an EHIC is online. Your card will be delivered within seven days.The website address is:

Health Advice For Travellers. note missing link

To apply by phone, call 0845 606 2030 and have the information listed above ready. When your application is completed, your card will be delivered within 10 days.

To apply by post, pick up the EHIC form and pre-addressed envelope from the Post Office. Your card will be delivered within 21 days. For a nominal fee, the Post Office will check your completed application form and forward it for processing. This service is optional. There is space for up to four dependent children on the application form. If you apply online or by telephone, you can apply on behalf of more children. If you are applying by post and you lose the pre-addressed envelope, send your completed application form to:

  • EHIC Applications
  • PO Box 1115
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • NE99 1SW

Holiday Insurance for Cancer and Asbestos Related Diseases Sufferers

It is advisable to arrange for specialist travel insurance at the very start of your holiday plans. If you want to go on holiday but are worried about insurance because of health problems below are the contact addresses and web sites of specialist travel insurance companies. This is simply provided for your information.

"NOTE: MAVSG cannot be held responsible for the services the companies provide."

The Roy Castle Foundation

This foundation has also recently set up a new scheme for patients with cancer to have travel insurance quoted. Their phone number is: 0870 458 7423